Requirements and general information

  1. Valid agreement between Universities.
  2. To be represented by the respective office of International Relationships. Each university has their own requisites; therefore, it is important to be a certified candidate for International Mobility through an Introduction Letter.
  3. To add Health Insurance that covers the entire period in Chile. In any case, of not having this requisite, a Commitment Letter must be added that there will be one before arriving to the country, which has to come signed up by you.
  4. When receiving the Acceptance Letter, it is mandatory and of your responsibility, to process a Student Visa in the chilean Consulate of the country of origin. Once in Chile, you must validate your Student Visa to process your ID and Chilean Id number.

General Information

Because we want you to take advantage of this experience the most, we give you next vital information to prepare your trip and to know more of our country. Get ready, you are about to live an experience that you are never going to forget!


You will need a valid passport to apply to Chile. If you do not have one or if the current one will expire before travelling, you must apply for a new one. In some countries, to renew it, you must deliver an original copy of the birth certificate of your parents or of your home. Investigate and process it as soon as possible. We recommend you get a photocopy of the first page of your passport and keep it separated from the original for the entirety of your trip in our country (at every moment).

Visa Types:
Student Visa

This is for students who would like to come to Chile and carry on with their studies as a regular student at Schools and Universities, for a period between 90 days (3 months) as a minimum and a maximum amount of a year. In the case of scholarships, for as long as the scholarship lasts.

Where to apply?

Chilean Consulates abroad or at the Department of Immigration of the Ministry of External Relationships.

  • To have an Official Enrollment Verification or Letter of Acceptance emitted by a University or Educational entity renowned by the state.
  • To confirm at the Consulate that you will be able to live in Chile, money wise, during the entire period.
  • Certificate of Criminal Record.
  • Health Certificate.
  • 4 Passport size photos.
Tourist Visa

If you come to study the thematic programs or special programs of winter and summer, which have a lesser duration than 90 days, you can arrive to Chile with a Tourist Visa.

  • The fulfilment of the requisites will not secure the Visa.
  • During the process, they can ask you additional information.
  • The Student Visa does not allow you to work.
  • The Tourist Visa does allow you to work, but only with a special permit for tourists, which you must apply in Santiago at Departamento de Extranjería y Migración del Ministerio del Interior. And for regions, you must approach the right governmental building.
  • The Student Visa has a maximum duration of 1 year and it can be renewed in Chile.

Each Visa has its own price: In the following link, you can see the prices of Visas per country and per type:

Visa Validation

At the moment of arrival, you must do the following, in a period lower than 30 days of your arrival:

  1. To register your visa at foreign office.
  2. To apply and obtain your Foreign ID (all foreigners above 18 years old, owners of any type of Visa, are obliged to obtain it at civil registration office. It has a cost for foreigners of $4.270 chilean pesos.
Foreign Office:
Santiago Jefatura Nacional de Extranjería y Policía Internacional

#852 Eleuterio Ramírez Street., Santiago, Metropolitan Region

22708 10 43
Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 2 pm.
Talca Departamento de Extranjería y Policía Internacional

#1282 3 Oriente Street.

71 – 2204810
Temuco Departamento de Extranjería y Policía Internacional

#724 Miraflores Street, Temuco.

45 – 2283891


*Civil & Identification Registry Service
Santiago #1570 Huérfanos, 1st floor Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 2 pm
Talca #1026 1 Poniente, 1 y 2 Sur Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 2 pm
Temuco #875 Claro Solar, 1st floor Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 2 pm


International police

To enter Chile, all passengers must be verified at the International Police control post and you must show your identity documents (ID or passport) and the Visa (depending of the country of origin).

Make sure to not have nuts, fruits (dried or fresh), or products of animal origin, while you go through Customs. They will confiscate the products and you might receive a fine.

Reciprocity Payment

Students that have an Australian passport must pay a Reciprocity Tax at the Airport, which is USD 132.



Canadá USD 132
Chilean Money

The official coin in Chile is the Chilean peso. 1 USD is around $660 CLP. As payment you can use Chilean peso (we always recommend you to have a small amount with you in case of emergencies, not more than $10.000 Chilean pesos), Credit Card (can be used pretty much in all formal commerce, do not share your password) and practically only in banks, travelers’ checks are accepted. If you stay 1 year, we recommend you to get a Debit Card in a bank with a Vista Account (this account only allows to save your money and it does not have other products/services associated to it from the bank).


Chile is a country where you will be able to live all 4 very obvious seasons: Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring. Our summer starts in December and ends in March, therefore come with the right clothing, like t-shirts, dresses, shorts, flip-flops to get advantage of the beaches and pools, do not forget to bring a swimming suit and solar protection. Starting from April, autumn starts so do not forget to bring warm clothing for the cold and the rain. In June is when winter starts and this lasts until mid-September. The arrival of spring is during September, is when the weather starts to improve and you will be able to use light clothing because summer is closely encroaching. We also recommend you to bring, also, shoes for the rain and snow, in the case that you want to travel south or to the Andes, where you are going to need it.


Health is a priority for us and that is why in Chile, we demand you to have a Health Insurance before arriving to the country. We have some recommendations:

  • In any case, where you need to go to a doctor, it is ideal for you to visit a medical center or private clinic (if you have a consult, please do not doubt to contact International Relationships or your DAE center). You will have to pay directly, but after you come out you can ask for a refund accordingly to your insurance, therefore do not forget to keep your bills safe.
  • Water in Chile has been threated and we have had no problems with students that have gotten sick from it, but we recommend you that at least the first weeks, to buy bottled water, especially if you visit the countryside.
  • Chile does not require vaccines to enter from any country, but the Typhoid Fever vaccine and hepatitis vaccine are highly recommended, if you study Odontology these vaccines are mandatory. Poliomyelitis and tetanus are optional (very rare in Chile). Malaria does not exist in Chile, but if you plan to go to other countries or nearby islands, you must check their situation.
  • If you normally take medicine, make sure if bringing enough for the time that you are going to be here or bring the receipt to be able to buy it here. In Chile, many medicines are under doctor’s prescription, therefore you would have to go to one first, to ask for it in case it were necessary.

All our campuses have Cafés, shopping stands and vending machines of liquids and snacks, with different types of food that you would like to eat.

Another option is to visit nearby shops like traditional restaurants or fast food. An example lunch menu that has: main dish, salad, juice or soda and dessert goes around 3.000-5.000 chilean pesos (4-8 dollars).

Chilean Slang

We talk very fast and with a lot of slang. At first, it will be difficult to understand, but it will be a fun challenge to follow us up and overtime you will love each and single one of the slang words. The following link has a list of words used in Chile that will help you understand us better. We assure you will laugh a lot!

Foreign Students

Academic Calendar
Incoming Form
Frequently Asked Questions
Open chat